Regular cleaning must be performed periodically in order to maintain the finish of your lighting. We recommend, at a minimum, thoroughly rinsing with clean, conditioned water every 3 months for locations within 5 miles of salt water. All other locations should be rinsed thoroughly at least twice per year. In addition, a thorough cleaning should be performed at least every six months for coastal locations and annually for all other locales. Ideally, our doors and windows should be cleaned at the same time the glass is cleaned, inside and out.
We recommend the following cleaning procedure:
- Cleaning should be performed when the lights are turned off and cool, such as early morning.
- Use clean, warm water with a small amount of non‐abrasive, non‐chemical detergent (Ivory Dish Soap is recommended). For best results use three ounces of soap per gallon of water.
- Using a soft cotton cloth (terry cloth works well), remove dirt, oil, mildew and any other contaminants. Scrub gently but freely to remove all deposits.
- Take care not to damage the wax and lacquer coating by scrubbing too hard.
- Rinse immediately with fresh water to remove all cleaning materials.
- Do not allow units to dry before rinsing thoroughly Wipe any remaining moisture with a clean, lint‐free cloth.
- Keep cleaned surfaces free from moisture, dirt and/or rust
- Next, apply a new layer of wax to the finish. We recommend the use of “Sculpt Nouveau’s Wax for Iron & Steel” after cleaning, in order to maintain the original finish and protect the units. This product may be obtained by calling Sculpt Nouveau at (800) 728‐5787.
- Before applying any wax, please use precaution as necessary to avoid over application that may affect the glass. Use a tape, such as painter’s tape, to frame the glass to avoid any contact with wax.
- Apply the wax to a completely dry surface or there is a risk of trapping moisture, causing a white film to appear. If this does occur, it may be treated by applying mineral spirits with a soft cotton rag. When the cloudiness has been removed start the wax process again.
- Apply the wax with a soft cloth
- Allow the wax to set up for about 30 minutes (less time if the temperature is high) Buff with a lint‐free towel. Buffing will help compact the wax, making dense surface
- Applying a second coat is optional. If desired, wait at least six hours for the first layer to fully cure. Repeat the waxing instructions as with the first coat
What Not to Do:
- Do not use caustics or abrasives, especially on the bronze thresholds
- Do not use stiff brushes or scouring pads
- Do not apply wax until the units have completely dried
- Do not use any chemicals except mineral spirits
- Do not use non‐conditioned, hard water